Cleaning and Caring for your Solid Surface Counter Tops
Solid Surface has qualities that ensure it is an excellent choice for your countertop due to its easy care and renew-ability. Follow these simple steps to protect your solid surface countertops and have them looking their best.
1. Remove most dirt, stains, and residue with soapy water or an ammonia-based cleaner (i.e. most glass cleaners or a general purpose cleanser)
2. More difficult stains can be removed using a diluted mixture of water and bleach, or denatured alcohol.
3. Prevent hard water marks by wiping surfaces dry after spills and cleanings. Vinegar will also remove most dried water spots.
4. Disinfect by wiping surfaces with a 50/50 water/bleach mixture. Rinse with clear water and wipe dry.
5. Clean integrated sinks the same way you clean the counter top. You can also use Soft Scrub liquid cleanser and a gray Scotch-Brite pad. Rub over entire sink to blend finish. Magic Eraser also works well to remove most dirt and stains from sinks. Occasionally, you may want to clean/disinfect your sink by filling one-quarter full with a 50/50 water/bleach solution. Allow to soak for 15 minutes, then wash sides and bottoms as solution drains. Rinse with clear water.
Preventing Heat and Other Damage:
1. Although solid surface is heat resistant, it is best to always use a hot pad or trivet under hot objects and electric cook ware. Prolonged or extreme heat can cause discoloring or cracking to occur.
2. Always run cold water in sink while pouring boiling water down the drain.
3. Avoid exposing your solid surface to strong chemicals such as paint removers, oven cleaners etc. If contact does occur, quickly rinse thoroughly with water.
4. If you spill nail polish, use a non-acetone polish remover and then rinse with water.
5. Do not cut directly on your counter tops. All cutting should be done on a cutting board.
Removing Minor Cuts and Scratches:
*Nicks and scratches are inevitable, however, because the material is solid and consistent all the way through, minor cuts and scratches can be removed without much difficulty.
1. Remove minor nicks, cuts, and scratches by buffing them out using Scotch-Brite pads. Roughest to finest, the colors are green, peach, lilac, blue, and gray. Start with green, wet the surface, and rub in a circular motion over the scratch, rinsing pad periodically. When the scratch is removed, continue to rub with progressively finer pads in gradually larger circles, while re-wetting the surface as needed and between pads. When finished, the renewed surface should blend nicely with surrounding areas. Rinse with clear water and wipe dry.
2. For deep cuts and gouges or cracks, contact us at The Stone Studio to schedule a complete repair. In most cases, solid surface can be repaired on site.
3. To give your solid surface counter top a nice shine, use Countertop Magic cleaner/polish over the entire surface and wipe with a clean cotton cloth. Countertop Magic is sold at most home centers and hard ware stores in the cleaning supplies area.
*We hope you enjoy your Solid Surface Counter Tops for many years to come!